Tuesday, November 29

Svetlana Alliluyeva


Lana Peters, Stalin’s Daughter, Dies at 85


Wherever I go,” she said, “here, or Switzerland, or India, or wherever. Australia. Some island. I will always be a political prisoner of my father’s name.”

Father’s simplicity butchered us all
His love, his cruelty
Created and destroyed us

Born Stalin’s ‘little sparrow’,
Pampered as a princess,
While millions slaved in his forced labor

Brother Jacob, murdered by the Nazis,
(Father wouldn’t stoop to trade a single German general for him)
Brother Vasili, killed by the bottle
Mother ‘s self-mutilation
(They claimed appendicitis, but I saw the gashes)

My youngest  love banished  to Siberia
There could be no other
All of my marriages withered
No man strong as his steel
(Father would grab me by the throat, rip my hair, make me dance)

Setting my Soviet passport on fire
Wandering citizen of the world
Rootless, nameless,
Little sparrow no longer

No comments:

Post a Comment