Sunday, May 8

Mom's Gifts


Purple irises for my teacher
(From the yard bearing orange day lilies and later,
Fallen apples swarming with bumblebees)

Hot potato pancakes in tin foil for my bus driver
(From the kitchen of chicken divan, perfect omelets
Sticky sweet pineapple upside-down cake,
Truffles in elegant glass brandy snifter)

Light pink dress with white tulips for my Kindergarten picture
(From the closet that still holds Homecoming dresses of velvet and taffeta,
Embroidered wedding gown, and long gauzy veil)

Poetry books and novels for my mind
(From the bookshelf that bears fabric colored journals, high school yearbooks,
College notebooks, and now, perhaps, children’s stories)

Fragrant stargazers for my marriage
(In a marble portrait gallery, amidst stained glass windows,
Tulle covered chuppah, fit for royalty)

A humble poem for mom
(Filled with memories of countless kindnesses,
Too many gifts to name)

No comments:

Post a Comment